In preparation for the holidays, I’m doing a Mascot Monday, where I will post up an instructional PDF once a week on how to do a simple mascot ornament gift. Last year for Christmas I made one for each of my friends and they were very well received, so this year I’m offering everyone these instructions so that everyone can enjoy them!
This week’s ornament: Squirrel
Sadly, I recently changed computers so I’ve lost almost all of the photos i had of the actual mascots once they were made, but hopefully you can imagine all the mascots from the few pictures that I do have
Supplies Needed (all the supplies can be used for multiple mascots):
- 4 Pieces craft felt in different colors (I used cream for the markings, tan for the body, brown for the acorn and nose and black for the eyes)
- 1 Tube crazy glue
- 1 Spool of coordinating thred
- 1 Package of stuffing
Step 2: Cut out the shapes of the paper pattern
Step 3: Use the paper shapes to cut out your shapes in felt. I like to tape the shape onto the felt with scotch tape so that it’s easier to cut.
Step 4: Follow the instructions on the guide:
- Glue ears (7a,b) to back of 8a.
- Sandwich ears with 8a,b. BS & stuff. Set aside.
- BS & stuff 5a,b.
- Attach 4a to front 5a,b (leg to front). Attach 4b to back (leg to back).
- Attach 10 to front of body above legs.
- Glue 9 to 11 and add 3 to top to create acorn. Affix to body where arm (10) is.
- Attach (stich or glue) tail to back of 5a,b.
- Sew body to head.
- Glue on facial elements (1a,b; 2; 6a,b,c)
A sample of what a completed mascot looks like (Bear)